In her hometown of the Bronx, J. Lo shot her latest W magazine cover at Castle Rock in just one day. Inspired by Janice Dickenson's voluminous blowouts during the 70's, iconic stylist, Oribe, created a classic movie star 'do. I chatted with him to get the how-to and some behind the scenes info. What's your relationship like with J. Lo?
I have been working with her for many years. We’re very good friends. I respect her very much, and every time I work with her I learn something new. Each time we work together it’s an incredible collaboration. It’s always fantastic.
Did J. Lo have any specific hair requests?
She's always very open-minded, and just wants to look beautiful. That’s pretty much the only rule, to make her look gorgeous. She's so fantastic to work with.
What are your 5 must have necessitates in your shoot kit?
All of the Oribe Hair Care products, especially Soft, Thick, Grandiose, Curl and Surfcomber. I also always have my Dry Texturizing Spray, Supershine Light and Impermeable. My Mason Pearson brush is also always with me.
Did J. Lo specifically like anything you used?
She loves the products and is a big supporter of the brand, and it works great on her hair. Her hairdresser is amazing and uses the products on her as well. He does a fantastic job and was on-set as well. It was a great experience to have that kind of rapport with her personal hair dresser.
- Apply mousse to damp hair and blowdry with a round brush
- Curl your hair all the way around your head and let them cool
- Brush through the curls to create waves
- Lightly spritz a conditioner like Oribe's Soft Dry Conditioner Spray through the ends to add softness and shine
- Finish with hair spray or anti-humidity spray like Oribe's Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray