celebrity fitness secrets from their personal trainers
While it's true that most celebrities are born with enviable genes, they still have to work hard to keep up their hot bods. Here, their trainers spill some of the fitness secrets that you can try at home. Because who doesn't want abs like Jennifer Aniston, a butt like J. Lo and legs like Courtney Cox?
How to get...
A BUTT LIKE J. LO, FROM HER PERSONAL TRAINER TRACY ANDERSON
Yes, maybe money and professional success won’t make you happy, but we’re pretty sure that if you look like J. Lo, you won't have much to complain about. So here’s how:
1) Stand facing the back of a chair. Put your hands on the chair.
2) Tuck your right knee to 90 degree angle, and pull your leg back towards the chair, so it’s diagonal to the left side of the chair.
3) Extend the leg to a straight back, extended arabesque position, working through the turn out.
4) Your body will lean forward over the chair. Keep your elbows bent on the chair to help extend the leg high.
LOWER ABS LIKE KERRY WASHINGTON, FROM PILATES INSTRUCTOR NONNA GLEYZER
What is it about Kerry Washington that just exudes a happy, healthy lifestyle? She seems to “have it all”—and now you can have her lower ab workout:
1) Lie on your back and place a yoga block under your tailbone.
2) Bend your knees towards your chest and lay your arm at your side.
a. On the inhale, extend your legs up on a diagonal
b. Exhale, bringing your knees back towards your chest.
3) Do 5 to 15 rep
ABS LIKE JENNIFER ANISTON, FROM HER PERSONAL TRAINER MANDY INGBER
Once you've got your lower abs in Kerry Washington-shape, move up and work them like Jen does.
“She likes planks, because they work the abs, or the forearm plank, so any variation on the plank or the forearm plank.” -Mandy Ingber
ARMS LIKE KENDALL JENNER, FROM HER PERSONAL TRAINER GUNNAR PETERSON
Step 1: Be 19 years old. If that ship’s sailed, here’s another way:
1) Kendall loves doing a combined push up/t-raise. She does them off of an unstable surface (such as a yoga ball), to work her arms even more, but you can start on a flat floor if that’s more comfortable.
2) Do a standard push up, but on the way back up rotate to one side and lift up one arm. Alternate.
LEGS LIKE COURTENEY COX, FROM HER PERSONAL TRAINER MICHELLE LOVITT
No list of celebrity workouts would be complete without including Jennifer Aniston’s BFF/fountain of youth co-finder Courteney Cox. From her legendary first gig as the girl in Bruce Springsteen’s “Dancing in the Dark” music video (hello, ‘80s cutoffs) to today, the actress loves showing off her legs. Now you can too:
1) Stand in a mountain pose.
2) Bend your knees, squeeze your inner thighs together, and straighten your arms so they’re over your head and stretched towards the ceiling.
3) Inhale as you lift your arms and upper chest, and work into a backbend.
4) Tuck your pelvis, and hold the pose for as long as you can—try 8 breaths to start, then work up to 10, 15, 20.....”